The Old Mill
The Mill House is an unusual building in that it was originally a working windmill built in the 1830's. The story goes that the windmill didn't work and was not situated in the correct position due to it being too gusty and as a result was finally converted to a house.
The building is a concoction of different construction types that have been put together over the years. The original windmill was constructed from solid rubble flint, and has been rendered whilst the front portion of the house, and stairwell forming access to the windmill, is split over many levels and the rear portion, constructed in the early 70's is brick cavity with flat roofs.
The proposal was to retrofit the property to improve the energy efficiency with remodelling to the rear to improve the appearance, replacing the first floor flat roof with a pitched roof, whilst also inserting a landscape window to provide better views across the valley. The new extension has been clad in white weatherboarding and squared off of the rear modern extension, allowing a cleaner and coherent building form with the addition of a sedum roof, which vastly improves the external appearance.